Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 9

Co Co's cooking!

I woke up pretty early today (not as early as I usually have to for work) and I decided I wanted to make something delicious for supper. Unfortunately, my kitchen was pretty bare and lacking in anything promising besides the staples, so I had to go to the grocery store. While at the grocery store, I came across some interesting ingredients in the ethnic food aisle: coconut milk, curry paste and basmati rice, vindaloo sauce. The wheels started turning in my head and I knew right away that I was craving beef vindaloo. Now, I'm not partial to buying pre-made sauces in jars for ethnic dishes, I would much rather try to create the dish from scratch. I bought the things I went to the grocery store for, and also picked up: thinly sliced steak, a vidalia onion, red and green peppers, basmati rice, coconut milk, mild curry paste, cilantro, and naan bread. When I got home I put all my ingredients on the top of my counter and began to get to work. The final product was amazing. Here's the recipe and some photos of the process. Yum yum!

All the ingredients:


The recipe:

You will need the following:

* 1 tbsp (or to taste) Patak's Hot Curry Paste (or similar other brand. My fiance is a bit of a spice wimp so I used Mild paste)
* 1 medium onion
* 1/2 (each) green pepper and red pepper
* Coconut milk
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 1 tbsp minced ginger
* 1-2 tbsp EVOO
* Thinly sliced beef steak
* Cream
* Yogurt
* Naan bread (I like the garlic naan from Zhers/PC)
* Butter
* Curry Powder
* Cooked basmati rice

Recipe

1. Pre-cook beef. Thinly slice all the veggies (onion/peppers) and set aside.
2. In a frying pan or wok, heat the oil and add the garlic and ginger. Cook on med-medium/low heat. Drizzle coconut milk on top.
3. Add beef to the pan, allow to heat through.
4. Add the veggies you cut and put in a bowl earlier. Stir-fry with the meat for about 2 minutes.
5. Take curry paste and add it to the pan. Stir to coat the meat and vegetables.
6. Slowly add creamer or more coconut milk to the pan until a sauce forms. This really is a matter of preference. If you add too much cream, don't worry - it will thicken.
7. Spoon mixture over basmati rice and drizzle yogurt or more coconut milk over the rice. Helps to tone down the spice.

If desired, serve with naan bread. Heat in the oven for a few minutes, put a bit of butter on the hot naan bread, cut into quarters and serve alongside vindaloo.

Enjoy!

The curry simmering away on the stove:


The final product:

2 comments:

Kate said...

Looks yummy! I have an obsession with Naan bread. It's amazing with curry

Co Co said...

I completely agree Kate...Mmmmm to Naan bread!